Chilluminati

North America Psytrance

Production Tips and Techniques

Forums Music DJing and Production Production Tips and Techniques

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 225 total)
  • Author

Ascension
    Keymaster

Starting and stickying this here so we can share some tips and techniques (or any other good production ideas). Share, enjoy.

For those who like doing call and response, this is fun:

Instead of using sounds with 0 attack and separating when they hit, trigger 2 midi sounds at the same time with one having a longer attack (play with the attack amount until it sits right). Gives a call and response type of effect, but one sound sweeps in.

Another thing I've been doing with some patterns of sound that I repeat on the same beat for several measures (for instance- in one phrase the sound is always played for a quarter note starting on beat 3) is to automate an arp on/off. This gives a cool variation especially if the non-arpped sound has a sweeping motion to it since turning the arp on makes it more rhythmic sounding.

#238791 Reply

Ascension
    Keymaster

This has some good info for ableton and logic (hopefully cubase stuff is put up sometime):

http://en.wikiaudio.org/Category:Tutorials

I didn't realize you can drop movies directly into Ableton, that's gonna make ripping audio easier 🙂

#238792 Reply

edais

Another thing I've been doing with some patterns of sound that I repeat on the same beat for several measures (for instance- in one phrase the sound is always played for a quarter note starting on beat 3) is to automate an arp on/off. This gives a cool variation especially if the non-arpped sound has a sweeping motion to it since turning the arp on makes it more rhythmic sounding.

Oh, nice!  For some reason I never really considered working with automated arps.

#238793 Reply

Soze
    Keymaster

If the arp allows it.. Automate the type and range. Some arps with editable patterns also allow the pattern loop length to be automated. Sylenth is good for that..

#238794 Reply

edais

Shouldn't this be stickied in the DJ'ing and Production forum?  😉

#238795 Reply

^QFT 😉

#238796 Reply

Ascension
    Keymaster

Ah crap. This is what happens when u mod before u have coffee in the morning 🙂

#238797 Reply

caffeine addict^  ::)

of course you know that setting up another midi track and routing the “arped” tracks midi to it, then press record..

resampling midi notes!!  😮 yessss

http://mrbill.bodyoz.com/tutorials.html  is also something for people new(er) to production/ableton

I want to see some psy vets posting some good stuff.. not just kb tuts either.

I'm interested in knowing specific routings/tricks of sidechaining in modern dark stuff..

also.. I'm sure the dark (farts lol) leads are easy.. but every tut I find is only explained on some overly complex synth that has odd names for parameters. does anyone have a preset for Operator that I can reverse engineer?

I get pretty close with hi resonance band pass sweeps.. tweaking an arps rate.. and then a delay after.. but its not the same by any stretch.

I've seen people say “eq every kick” what does that mean? like automating frequency individually for each note?? no way….?

I need to spend more time at isra I guess… but I hate to bombard them with even MORE noob questions.. and the search leads me to hints at best.

to contribute: 60000/BPM = 1/4 note delay time… got this from Mr. Bill.. I'd been turning ableton's delays to repitch and mapping the time to a controller knob and having fun.. but this equation saves the day for actually getting down to business.

also read about how people are always going on about classic analog sounds being better… supposedly one reason was due to them being monophonic.. the artist had to dub several takes to get polyphony..

so basically turn your synth to mono… duplicate a few times (try a hundred!! can your cpu handle it lol?).. pan them oddly or uniformly.. get crazy with chorus or phasers on each one with small differences in timeing etc.. sounds pretty cool.

#238798 Reply

Ascension
    Keymaster

This site has some really good presets for a bunch of Ableton instruments:

http://www.thecovertoperators.org

#238799 Reply

60000/BPM = 1/4 note delay time…

I don't think I understand this, could you explain?

THX!

#238800 Reply

edais

I've seen people say “eq every kick” what does that mean? like automating frequency individually for each note?? no way….?

I actually was thinking about this the other day.  I think maybe this means changing envelope parameters for one or two of the four kicks that happen in any one measure….like making the sustain or release longer on a couple to facilitate the subtle grooves in the bass and kick so they don't sound like just running lines.  I really think this pertains to progressive more as there is more space to actually hear it going on, but I imagine it would work with dark too.  This is the only thing I can think of that would help get the grooves I'm talking about going on, other than the effect of nicely set up sidechaining.

The other thing this could mean is literally eq'ing every kick that happens to make sure every one is heard in comparison to what else is happening at any given time.  I mean, makes sense I guess?  I doubt many artists actually do this completely though.

#238801 Reply

^Well it would be easy enough to have a few different samples of the same kick just tweaked/EQed a bit different to add some dynamic spice to the kick. Run 'em all into the sidechain…

I'ma try it.

#238802 Reply

I've seen the eq thing several times.. I was hoping Ascension new because I know he's at isra a lot and thats really the only place I see psytrance descussion. The forums I go to all just talk shit on trance.  :-  I mean I'm sure they mostly mean tiesto wankery.. but I never see useful discussions/tips on the ableton forums or idmforums  and those two places are GOLD MINES for literally every other genre!! I don't use the search often enough though..

but yeah Zensphere.. just watch mr. bill's tutorials man!!!! they freakin rock!! and he actually has a killer psytrance project too!!

say your BPM is 150. take divide that by 60,000 or however you properly word that lol. 60,000/150=400

now. if you make a stab or drum hit.. drop a ping pong delay on it.. open the filter all the way.. feedback and dry-wet are fine.. right click the effect name header and switch to “repitch” mode. turn the delay switch from “sync” to “time”.

phew.. save that as a preset!

now.. the for the delay's time (in milliseconds) set it to 400! this will make an exact “delay” or repeat of your “hit” ever 1/4 note until it fades out..

but the best part is when drawing automation! half of 400 would be 1/8 note repeats… half of 200 1/16 note repeats, etc…

so I hear a lot of producers messing with repitch delay times lately (especially the west coast psy break crunk step stuff) but never could get the same effect..

its because there modulations are “in time”

like if the feedback of your settings creates a 2 bar tail on your “hit” then you could start with a 1/4 note repeat and over the first bar gradually drop to 1/8th notes and then over each next “beat” drop it half time.. this will make a really really cool effect!

#238803 Reply

http://www.mediafire.com/?nyamtjm232z

if any ableton user.. oops just realized this has to be 8.1.1 I think….. well if by chance anyone can load this and listen I'd appreciate advice on what it needs, its my first attempt at synthesizing a psy kick.

#238804 Reply

Ascension
    Keymaster

If you want an easy plugin to make a kick with try this out:

http://forum.isratrance.com/new-psy-kick

I've been using it recently, really easy to get a good kick with.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 225 total)
Reply To: Production Tips and Techniques
Your information: